Shakeology claims to be a Healthy Meal Replacement. The shake claims to help with a nutrition dose of 70 ingredients and 23 vitamins and minerals (more on that here). But, what about the Shakeology Ingredients? After all, this is more than just a “protein shake”. On this page we will take a microscopic look at all of the Shakeology Ingredients listed on the bag, and examine what they do for you (good OR bad).
For starters, here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to understanding the Shakeology Ingredients:
- I will be using the nutrition label of the Chocolate Flavor Shakeology ingredients (click here to see the nutrition label)
- I’m going to start with the ingredients after the typical nutrition facts (calories, carbs, protein, and vitamins). This means I’ll start with Folic acid and Biotin. Then, we’ll dig into the Proprietary superfoods, along with the “other ingredients” listed on the label.
Remember, this post tends to be a bit more scientific. My goal is to help you understand what the ingredients are and how (and IF) they can benefit you. If you are just looking to learn more about Shakeology in general, or purchase, click here.
Shakeology Ingredients – The Everyday Ingredients
Even though I call these “everyday ingredients”, they are still hard to understand. You may have seen these before in other foods, but here is what they do and why they are important for your health.
- Folic Acid (50% of DV): This ingredient can also be referred to as Vitamin M or B9. Folic acid has many benefits including: Stroke reduction, Sperm Quality (in males, helps reduce chromosomal defects in sperm), Macular Degeneration (In Fact, a study was completed where women have reduced potential for degeneration by 34.7%).
- Biotin (30% of DV): Also know as Vitamin H. Biotin’s primary purpose is to help break down fatty cells and help metabolism (fat burner, baby!)
- Pantothenic acid (50% of DV): This ingredient (Vitamin B5) helps with oxygen utilization efficiency. What does that mean? It helps fuel oxygen to your muscles, which reduces muscle soreness and aches.
- Phosphorous (25% of DV): Having this ingredient daily can help strengthen tooth enamel. This leads to stronger teeth and prevention of early tooth decay.
- Iodine (35% of DV): This ingredient is widely known to help with your thyroid. But not only that, iodine is beneficial for breast, stomach, brain, and other important tissues. Not having enough (or having TOO much) can cause problems for these vital tissues (source here).
- Magnesium (20% of DV): magnesium helps regulates blood sugar, and keeps heart rhythm running, strong bones, and your immune system in check.
- Zinc (40% of DV): this is a great ingredient and supplement you should always have. Zinc is beneficial for your immune system. Better than that, it helps decrease the acceleration of skin and muscle aging. Not only that, it can be beneficial for your digestive trac (with proven abilities to reduce and eliminate diarrhea episodes, according to Bhutta, 2000).
- Copper (40% of DV): not having enough copper in your diet can lead towards deficiencies such as osteoporosis, infections, and glucose problems. Copper ingests into your liver and spreads through your bloodstream to regulate your blood sugar and benefit your bones and glucose levels significantly.
- Manganese (100% of DV): a beautiful ingredient that helps your body properly digest and use the other ingredients like zinc, copper, and iron better. Not only that, there have been studies that show that manganese can help treat things like: epilepsy, asthma, diabetes, Schizophrenics, Rheumatoid arthritis, Multiple sclerosis, heart disease, and more. A powerful ingredient that gives you 100% DV in one serving of Shakeology.
- Chromium (50% of DV): Chromium enhances the production of insulin in your body. Insulin helps with the metabolism and storage of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in your body. This in turn can help regulate potential for diabetes and speed up that metabolism a bit.
- Molybdenum (40% of DV): Similar to phosphorus, this ingredient helps strengthen tooth enamel and helps prevent tooth decay. Smile my friends, it’s a helpful ingredient to have in your diet!
As you can see, even the “basic” foundation of Shakeology Ingredients boasts some good benefits. So the big question is: ok great, why can’t we just eat healthy and get these? You can! The only thing you should consider is the price. To match the serving of all of these ingredients in everyday food will cost you more than a $4.33 serving of Shakeology.
Next we will explore Proprietary Superfoods. This will be the longer of the sections as this is the bulk of Shakeology ingredients.
Coach Bob – I’ve seen enough! I want to try Shakeology today and reap the benefits of the ingredients!! =>Click here to Try Shakeology<= (all new Shakeology orders from Sweet Life Fitness come with my personal free e-book on how to use Shakeology to lose weight the smart way).
Shakeology Ingredients – The Proprietary Superfoods
- Proprietary Protein Blend: Proteins are important for mental clarity, lean muscle building, improving skin and hair, and reducing cravings. The proprietary superfoods in this blend include: Whey, Sacha Inchi, Chia, Flax, Quinoa, Amaranth, Brown Rice, Pea.
- Proprietary Super-Fruit/Antioxidant Blend: promotes antioxidant support for a healthy immune system, heart, and optimal blood pressure. The proprietary superfoods in this blend include: Camu-Camu, Acai, Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Goji Berry, Grape Seed, Green Tea, Lun Hao Guo, Pomegranate, Rose Hips.
- Proprietary Super-Green/Phytonutrient Blend: This is an interesting blend of the Shakeology ingredients, mainly because of what it can do. It detoxifies! The liver, kidneys, and blood get detoxification benefits that restore health and vitality. Superfoods in this blend include: Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Barley Grass, Kamut Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass.
- Proprietary Adaptogen Blend: this helps protect the body from stress, supports the immune system, and balances the endocrine system. Superfoods that support this blend include: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordyceps, Ginkgo, Maca, Maitake, Reishi, Schisandra, Tulsi (Holy Basil).
- Proprietary Pre- and Probiotic/Digestive Enzyme Blend: helps increase nutrition absorption, promotes regularity, and improves digestion. Superfoods in this blend include: Yacon Root, Lactobacillus Sporogenes, Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain, Papain.
Shakeology Ingredients – The “Other” Ingredients
Ingredients to any foods are good to look at consistently. You never know what lies beneath until you turn over to the nutrition facts and look at the bottom. Let’s look at the “other” ingredients listed on the Shakeology bag, and what they mean, and if they are bad for you.
- Natural Sweetener Blend (Non-GMO Fructose, Stevia): this is how the 6 grams of sugar in each serving come to being. But unlike other “diet” and health shakes that used the cursed “Aspartame”, Shakeology has NO aspartame and uses Stevia. Stevia is found in sunflower family of sweetleaf and sugarleaf. The sweetness ends up being 300 times more sweet than artificial flavorings. The best part is, it controls diet by giving you less carbs and less chance of disease and study-proven cancer like Aspartame.
- Natural Chocolate Flavor: this means that the flavor of chocolate is derived from a cacao plant, which produces natural cocoa.
- Xanthan Gum: I see this in a lot of different foods that I eat (along with Guar Gum). This is basically a laxitive ingredient that helps with food thickening. There are no bad studies that I have found on this ingredient, but it can contain very small doses of wheat.
- Guar Gum: according to Wikipedia, this gum can help with digestion and regularity. It has a significant amount of soluble fiber which helps promote this effort, and is used for most foods to thicken appearance. Again, I couldn’t find anything too risky on this ingredient either.
Shakeology Ingredients – Good or Bad?
Some of these ingredients make me want to mix up a shake right now. Others like Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum have me suspicious, even though I never found anything bad about them. Either way, the benefits far out weigh any concerns.
Trying to get all of these supplements in your daily diet would cost you a ton of money. Unless you are Donald Trump or Bill Gates, this would be a bit too much (around $1256.40 per month, at $41.88 per day). One serving of Shakeology is around $4.33 or $129.95 per month.
If you are like me and are serious about your health, click below to try Shakeology for yourself. All new orders are guaranteed with a 30-day money back guarantee, even if the bag is empty. Keep in mind that I recommend ordering on monthly auto-ship to save on Shipping costs (you can cancel anytime).
Have questions on Shakeology ingredients? Comment below and let’s chat!
Coach Bob Sharpe
Source for ingredients from Wikipedia.org. Shakeology Ingredients Image use courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net.